Frequently Asked Questions
What is coworking?
- Coworking is a global movement that provides collaborative and innovative office space solutions for people to grow their businesses. It is generally defined as flexible, membership-based workspaces where diverse groups of freelancers, remote workers, and other independent professionals work together in a shared, communal setting.
Where are you located?
- South Edmonton: 2207 90B Street SW, Edmonton AB
- Sherwood Park: #258, 150 Chippewa Rd, Sherwood Park AB
What does a URBN Cowork membership include?
- High speed/reliable internet
- Coffee, Espresso, Tea & Filtered Water
- Meeting room time(all membership plans include a certain allotment of time each month)
- Member network where you can connect with other members through our online community
- Exclusive events at our spaces for all of our members to attend
Are there any additional expenses that aren’t included in the fees?
- There are no hidden fees or additional expenses unless otherwise agreed upon. Such as print or mail services or booking a meeting room.
Do you have a Hot Desk membership?
- We do have a Hot Desk membership options, however at URBN, we call it a Flex Desk Membership because it utilizes our flexible common space.
What’s the difference between Flex and Dedicated Desk?
- With a Flex Desk membership, you can work at any of the tables in our common space and it is first come first served. A Dedicated Desk membership is a specific desk that is yours, and you can set it up with your own monitor & printer if desired. Learn more about our Membership Plans.
Do I have to sign a lease?
- We do not have traditional leases for our spaces, we have a membership agreement for use of the space.
Is there a minimum commitment?
- For private offices we require an minimum 6 month commitment, while all other memberships are month to month.
Is a deposit required?
- We do require a one month deposit for both our private offices & dedicated desk memberships to be used towards your last month. So we require a 30 day cancellation notice.
Is parking included?
- Yes, we offer free parking onsite at all URBN locations.
What if I want to sign up, but won’t be able to use my membership for a few months?
- We don't charge for a membership until you are ready to use it, generally when you are ready to join, come in and see us to get you going.
Can I put my membership on hold?
- If you are a Flex Desk member you can put your membership on hold. If you have a Private Office or Dedicated Desk you cannot as we are not able to hold a dedicated desk or office.
Can I share an office with another business owner?
- Yes, you can share an office but we don’t split office cost. One person has to be the paying member and is responsible for the term agreement for the office, regardless if the person you are sharing with leaves.
Do I need to have rental insurance?
- Rental insurance is not a requirement but we do recommend it for members of Private Offices or Dedicated Desks.
Is there a waiting list for Private Offices or Dedicated Desks?
- There is currently a wait list at our South Edmonton location for both Private Offices & Dedicated Desks, but our Sherwood Park location currently has vacancies.
Why aren’t all the office options with URBN Cowork the same price?
- Our office pricing is based on the square footage of the office, as well as the features of the office (ie. water view or interior view).
What are the office hours at URBN Cowork?
- URBN Cowork office hours are 8am-4pm Monday through Friday.
Can I only work out of the space during “office hours”?
- Most of our memberships are 24/7 access with our URBN membership being the exception.
Do I need a certain type of URBN membership to book a meeting space?
- Anyone can book our meeting rooms, if you are an URBN member you will receive a 20% discount towards the booking.
Do you allow outside groups to book at UBRN Cowork for meetings or events?
- Yes, anyone can book meeting rooms, however events need to be approved by management.
How can I book a meeting room?
- Please click on the location you'd like to book here, and fill out the booking request form. We will contact you for further information to create a user account. Once you have a user account you will then be able to login and book the room you'd like at your convenience.
Can I bring outside clients in for meetings? Do I need to book a meeting room for this?
- You can absolutely bring clients in for a meeting, we do ask that you book a meeting room if you plan on meeting longer than 30 minutes.
Do I have to make an appointment for a tour or can i just stop in?
- Tours must be booked in advance so that we can make sure someone is available to show you around and answer any questions you may have. Contact us to book a tour.
Do you have printing services?
- Yes we have printers onsite at all URBN locations. It is an additional fee of $50 per month for unlimited printing & scanning at our Sherwood Park location. It is $0.10 for black & white, $0.25 for colour per page at our South Edmonton location.
Do you offer mail service? Does it cost extra?
- Yes, it is included with a private office and $50/month extra for any other membership.
Can I bring my kids or dog to work with me?
- At this time we are not able to accommodate pets or children. In instances of an emergency we are accommodating for short durations in the workplace.
Can I bring a friend in to work with me?
- If you would like to bring a guest with you to work in our space they will have to pay for a Day Pass.
Do I get access to all the URBN Cowork locations with my membership?
- You are able to use the drop in common space 2 days a month at the other location, however, you must contact management to arrange the dates you wish to use another URBN location.
What if my business outgrows my URBN Cowork space?
- We always try to accommodate our members growth within our spaces, however if your team grows large enough that you can no longer fit in our space please discuss with management as we may be able to build a custom space for you.
Are there any types of businesses that aren’t a good fit for coworking?
- The businesses that aren't a good fit for URBN would be retail, massage, chiropractic etc. The type of businesses that are appointment base or have frequent traffic in and out of the space. There are spaces that allow these types of businesses and if you are looking for that we can point you in the right direction.
What if I want to try coworking, but I’m not convinced it’s for me or I’m unsure if URBN Cowork is the right fit for me?
- Come in for a tour of either space and try it out for the day for FREE. Meet some of our members, enjoy some coffee and conversation, then decide if you'd like to join. Remember there is no long-term commitment needed, try it for a month and if it's not for you, you do not have to stay.
Will you be expanding URBN Cowork into Calgary, Red Deer or other parts of Alberta and Canada?
- Our goal is to expand our URBN Cowork community across Western Canada in the future. We will keep you updated as our community continues to grow.
Have a question we didn't answer here?
Ask us now.
We will respond to your question as soon as possible, please allow up to 48 hours before contacting us again.